Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Village Field Visits (So Many and More to Come!)

Today I finally got the villages, and it’s true, they’re beautiful, just like everyone told me.  I met eleven individuals/groups who are participating in SUPOTH’s programs.  Three were business men, a couple were groups, an adolescent drama, a woman who makes woven rugs, and other small business initiatives.  It was great to meet and see so many things, but after 12 hours of looking and listening and picture-clicking, I won’t be writing up the stories tonight.  Maybe tomorrow—I’ve got more field visits but it might not be quite as extensive. 

The rice paddies, jute fields, and fields waiting to be planted paint picturesque landscapes, albeit flat.  The edges of the fields have small built up paths because the rains collect in the fields, and the field in the middle need to be tended as well.  The paths are almost like a maze with no walls.  There isn’t anything blocking your view vertically, but you can only see the paths a few fields ahead; you can’t be sure if a few fields forward the path will be 3 inches of mud instead of path.  Lots of options, but no guarantees.

It was a great change of pace today to be in the village rather than a huge city.  We still had to drive between sites, but the scenery was a sight for tired, dusty, sore eyes.  

There is a ton more space in the villages, which meant that the children could follow when I went to visit different people.  It made me feel kind of like a super star.  But, the people and children would have stared at me if my skin had been green and I had horns on my head, which helped put the attention into perspective.  At each place I visited, I took lots of pictures (if I take enough at least one will turn out, right?); at two of the places I visited, villagers had cell phones with cameras and took some shots of me, which made me laugh.  If I’m gawking at them, and they are gawking at me, everybody wins!

It’s mango season here, and the northern part of Bangladesh (where I am now) is known for especially sweet mangos.  Which are delicious.  However, after my forth plate (every head office gave me those yummy mangos, plus dinner, plus 6 plates yesterday) I’m afraid when you see me again I will no longer be an Amanda, I will be a mango.  More thoughts, stories, pictures, and mangoes to come.

2 comments:

  1. Well, I do like Mangoes . . .

    Not as much as I like Amandas, but if you must become a fruit. . .

    ReplyDelete