I had tea four times today, but it must have been spread out enough that the caffeine didn’t get to me. Bengalis’ eat a light breakfast, and then have tea around 10:00 with a snack (something very similar to samosas today, so I was pretty excited) and then more tea at 11:30, both of which I had with my English class. Lunch at one and then tea again while I waited for the field manager for my visit, and then again at the field office with some blueberry crackers. Oh golly.
There is a lot of travel time here because of the traffic and how big the city is. I’ve found that I actually don’t mind it, because it gives me chance to see the city and to think about stuff. The CNG rides vary, depending on the driver; so far I’ve only had one really crazy one. He honked the hour for the better part of the whole hour drive. The muscles in his face cut harsh jagged lines in his cheeks. He did a lot of yelling, and his eyes were red-rimmed. But behind his harshness, his eyes were sad. Maybe he was angry because his body was sick of being rattled all day in the CNG, trying to negotiate prices with customers so that he could support his family. Mybe life had handed him some rough times, and he was just doing the best he could, and smiles were not part of the equation. Whatever the reason for his sadness covered with anger, he is a vivid picture in my mind of what hard lives some people live.
I went on a field visit today to Sutrapur slum. It was long twisty narrow walkways lined with houses, children playing and women doing work. Visiting Sutrapur slum was okay; I met with a couple different women who had various positions in the organization. I go through a translator, so it never really feels like I’m actually talking to the person I’m interviewing. And I’m just meeting them, so taking their picture is a little awkward. Hoping tomorrow I can sit in on a group meeting, though I’m a distraction , being a big bideshi (foreigner).
I’m also going to make an effort to take more pictures. If I had it my way, a cute little robot that could fly would follow me and take beautiful, clear (no hand-shaky photos). I feel very awkward taking pictures, as if I’m gawking at the locals; but, I will search for courage and hopefully when we go to the villages I’ll be a more click-happy.
No comments:
Post a Comment